Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Humans of the World

I have been tweeting about Brandon Stanton's Humans of New York for months now but some things are too good to be shared on Twitter exclusively.
When I really like something it ends up on every social network page I own, so here we go.

This TEDx Talk was given at Columbia and these truly were the most inspiring 15 minutes of my life.
If I could sum it all up, it's  about how the media is a business like any other: it shows you what you want to see.
We all know that deep down but never try to see the other side of the story. This is where Brandon's portraits come in.



Now what do you think about when I say "Lebanon"?
Kids playing in the souks? An old lady walking in the streets of Ashrafieh? A man and his tarboosh selling kaak or coffee on the street?

Well, this is exactly the kind of pictures you will find on Humans of Lebanon. This is how you know the people behind it failed to grasp HONY's idea which they were apparently inspired by.
I hope the page is going to evolve and show more of the Lebanon we do not know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to see a portrait on my Facebook timeline. Humans are awesome no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment