Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gaydrobe Item #3: The Color

A little history lesson.

During World War II, Nazi concentration camps inmates used to wear all kind of badges used to identify their felony.
Homosexuality was illegal, of course, and gay men were considered as sexual offenders.
Their marking? A downward pink triangle.

But pink is also associated with women, and we all are familiar with the stereotypes.
Hot pink is also the color of sexuality.

Moreover, a man wearing a pink shirt or polo is super sexy and we all know sexiness is associated with gay men (Duh?).
If you've got a nice tan, don't hesitate to wear the pinkest gayest shirt you find in your wardrobe!

It is true that a man is not seen as gay if he wears a pink shirt these days, but it was interesting to find out all about the pink triangle.
I love the fact that it became a symbol of gay pride and gay right movement even if it was intended to undermine out community.
Does it show that what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger?

5 comments:

  1. Not just pink, if a guy wears colorful shirts or pants, some people will tell me that it's so gay or that it's embarrassing.

    I think the stories behind all LGBTQI flags are interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "will tell him*", sorry... I wrote "me" because I was thinking about myself lol, I always go through similar situations and hear such ridiculous comments, people judging me because of the colors I decide to wear. Ughh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like colorful pants, but sweatpants are really trendy these days! I hate it... no waay! It's really sad. They come in all colors and shapes, I saw a guy wearing purple sweatpants... Enno what the fuck? :P
    People will always find a reason to judge you...
    Jalliss dahrak, rajji3 tizak, 3aleh rassak and walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear purple jeans and I love it! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeans, not sweatpants :) And I'm sure you look great in it :P

    ReplyDelete