Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

17 Candles & A Birthday Wish.

I was 15 when I started this blog. I cannot start to describe how miserable my life was back then.
Almost two years later, one single thing has changed.
I am still scared, I am still weak. But I am honest. I am honest to myself and I am honest to my friends. I am honest to anyone that will listen to me.

I am happy.

Now my birthday is not until 3 days from now, but there is no guarantee I will be able to write a post any time soon.

I have been spending my days, and most of my vacation, at school.
The best part is that, on my birthday, I will be standing at a science fair booth from 10AM to 9PM.

Work, work & work. That is all that seems to matter. One more month, and then we are free.
Free you say?
I will barely have time to catch my breath before I start my college applications.
I am running away to the first American college that will take me.

Lebanon.
This country just seems too much for me to handle.
Will things get better in the US? I don't know. I don't think so.
I just need to get out of my routine. Out of this life I am living here...

Somehow, I always forget.

We are lucky. They are not.
We are free. They are not.

Those who cannot leave this country,
those who ignore what lies beyond these borders,
those who will never get out of their routine,
those who will die doing what they have always done,
those who are haunted with questions and will never get the opportunity to answer them,
those who never get the chance to read this and live thinking they are alone,
those who cannot read at all,
are they free?


But can you blame them?
When society puts them in a position where they have to live a life that's not theirs, question their identity rather than the society's cruelty, what choice do they have?
When they have no way of finding answers to basic questions like who they are, what they are, what are these feelings they are experiencing, what choice do they have?


They are trapped between their lies and their secrets. Why? Because they cannot afford freedom.
Yes, freedom has a price. I, for one, believe it lies in education.
It is sad to see that money can be a boundary between freedom and captivity.
I owe my freedom to the internet, the movies I have watched, the inspirational people I have seen.
How can a man who has no access to all that know that he is not freak of nature? How can he learn about LGBT rights?

So, 3 days from now, while blowing the candles on the cupcake my friends smuggled into the university, I will thinking about ignorance and wish for its eradication, once and for all. 

9 comments:

  1. Loved the post Karim :)

    I would love to wish you a very happy early birthday and I hope by your next birthday things would have changed. I'm really sad that you will be leaving soon but I wish you great luck and success. If you need any help with college applications, you've got my email :)

    It makes me proud to see you work so hard and I'm sure you'll do really well on your science fair; makes me want to see your science project (I'm a science person after all :P).

    Have a blast Mr. Awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :')
      You know, nothing is really sure so I might stay here, it is just that I don't want to!
      And the science fair is open to public so feel free to come if you can! :-) It's worth it, we've been working on a really impressive project. Let me know if you want to, everybody told me it was quite fun last year!

      Delete
    2. Sure thing! Check your email buddy :)

      Delete
  2. So, you're leaving huh? Well, can't say I don't blame you. I can't say that that media-wise disadvantaged gay youth isn't common around here anymore...
    All in all, happy bday

    PS: you are a freakishly good writer :)
    PPS: happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is common everywhere, not only here!
      Thank you for your wishes, thank you for reading, thank you for you comment and thank you for the compliment, hah :-)

      Delete
  3. I hope you get the chance to fulfil your education dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. I do believe that by changing our education, you can change the world.

      Delete
  4. Honestly, if i win the lottery, I'll pay for you to go to university in the States or Europe. Don't give up on your dream. People are behind you and "pulling" for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really sweet! :-)

      Who said anything about giving up?!

      I've been working my ass off all summer to make sure I get in!
      Keep your finger crossed!

      Delete