Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Confidence

For some reasons I have noticed all those gay myths we hear about seem more accurate in Lebanon than anywhere else.

We all know that people here in Lebanon tend to pay a lot of attention to their image, to how other people see them. Everyone gossips. News travel fast. You always have to look - let's say - normal.
Therefore, Lebanese men try to avoid acting odd.

A man would try to act butch and manly even if he's feminine deep down.
A man would try to look curious when people talk about sports even if he has really no interest in that subject.
A man would try to look bored every time you mention Britney, Gaga or Cher even if his playlist is like a Gaga shrine.
A man would try to look excited every time people point out that hottie's breast, or that chick's ass even when he's actually staring at the other guy. 

I've met two kind of people who can so perfectly relate to this stereotype.
Homosexuals and metrosexuals - yes that word exists.
Unfortunately, no Lebanese man is confident enough about his sexuality to be metrosexual.

But what is metrosexuality anyway?
I've found 235 definitions online. I'll copy the ones that explain the thing clearly. (And of course the coolest ones)
Straight guys who are mistaken for being gay because of their fashion sense and hygiene habits.
Most gay guys are disappointed to find out that Zach is only metrosexual and not gay.
Sorry Zach, we love you anyway ;)
No disappointment there, really...
A straight guy who’s so cool, smart, attractive, stylish, and cultured, that everyone thinks he’s gay. But he’s so secure in his masculinity that he doesn’t care.
Of course everyone thinks he's gay! *cough*

In other words, David Beckham.

So yeah, anyway, where did I learn that fancy word?
So there's this guy who was at summer camp with me in England. Ok, I'll admit, I thought he was gay at first.
I mean, you cannot put that much perfume on every day and spend half an hour every morning on your hair without being gay for Pete's sake!

Well that was until he added me on Facebook and I found a profile full of pictures of his tongue stuffed down some girl's throat... Well, that had been quite a shock. Hmm...
So one day that teacher goes on about how metrosexual this guy was.
And the guy was smiling, he was actually smiling!
How confident can you get?

Will we ever find that in Lebanon? I think not.
People are too busy thinking about how people look at them to think about their looks.

Anyway, my new favorite show... For the month... Maybe even the week. 
Cougar Town :)



------

2 comments:

  1. hey... love all ur posts, nice to see someone like me, or at least as close as it gets, sharing his feelings,experiences,and life with others... just one question how do i subscribe and get informed of updates and stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. @LeBi: I wasn't really talking about the LGBT, I'm talking about straight guys, but I do agree that weakness has something to do with this!
    I just read your post about ego :) I'm not familiar with dating sites but I get your point!
    There's too much narcissism here...

    @Anonymous: I'm really glad you can relate to what I'm writing! Thank you for commenting :))
    At the end of the page you will find something called "Post (Atom)" I think you can subscribe that way :D

    ReplyDelete