Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Gaydar

Does the gaydar exist? Is it real? :-O
I was having dinner with my friends last night, gossiping, talking about everyone.
And the conversation went a little bit like this:

"- Yahh this guy is gay! I know it!
- How can you know if he is gay?
- How can you not?"

I never really assessed someone's sexuality.
It is not because I do not trust my intuition or instinct, it is because if I do so, it means I am accepting all the gay stereotypes.
Let me explain

How can you know if someone's gay?
- Nice clothes
- Nice hair
- Too hot to be straight ( ;-) )
- Effeminate
- Gay lisp

There are all gay myths...
And personally I see no other way to guess someone's sexuality.

Some people claim that they can just feel it, just by looking at someone, without referring to these stereotypes.
William Lee Adam (Harvard College) conducted a study and proved that homosexual men and women are more accurate in identifying other homosexuals and this by showing pictures of random people's face to volunteers.
Just pictures. Impossible to examine his behavior, his attitude.

So maybe the gaydar does exist, but for me, this never worked.
I have no gaydar, and I am now wondering if things would have been easier if I could just know if someone is gay or not... Or maybe the whole mystery thing is more thrilling?

4 comments:

  1. Nice post, I think that you can tell depending on how he/she is looking at you. Like BeirutBoy said, if there is eye contact going on, you know it is a possibility - most guys are very short sighted unless there is an 'interest' in something.

    At least that is how it got explained to me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the eye contact thing today! Haha, it totally works!
    Plus with my oversized glasses that scream 'gay' it is even easier!

    Yay I need to do more tests :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just staring at random people?
    Of course it does! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. without any hesitation, I can assure you that it exists! I always know a gay guy! it's not about the way he looks or acts, I just feel it!

    ReplyDelete