Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Lebanese Family.

A lot of families moved to Beirut after the war.
So you often hear about people going to their parent's village during vacations.

My dad is from Jbeil, and we have a nice, 100-year-old house my grandfather built there.
I used to spend my summers there with the family. I used to love it there. So peaceful, so cozy.
We used to go out in the garden, get a few of fruits & vegetables then come back and prepare dinner.
We would play baseball all day or go watch everyone play soccer in front of the church.
When my brother would go hunting, I would wait for him and we would clean the birds together. And by clean I mean remove their feathers and guts and try to establish what they ate by cutting open their stomach.
We also had an old Nintendo 64. So when it was too hot outside we used to sit and play Mario Kart for hours.
Well, that was when I was a kid.

Now, I just hate it there.
Not because there is no TV, no DVD player, no internet and no power 6 hours per day.
It's just that I can't imagine spending a whole summer alone with my family, far from the civilization and everything. 
I also realized today that I can't recognize anyone there!
See, I haven't been there for a while.

The old woman that would harass you every time you pass by her house is now long gone.
The happy couples your parents used to hang out with are now grandparents.
The young men your brother used to go hunting with are now getting married.
The kids that would play soccer in front of the church are now studying in the city or out of Lebanon.
All those kids you used to play hide and seek with have now a whole bottle of gel emptied on their head and are chewing a gum bigger that their head like their life depended on it.

And you're standing there wondering were the people you once knew are.
And they are standing there, wondering who that stranger, that intruder is.

Then of course your dad comes closer and starts talking to you.
And it hits them! You're the architect's son.
In small villages in Lebanon, you are unknown to the inhabitants until you get a job.
Until then, you are known as your father's son.

That's what I don't like. This whole living-in-the-60s thing.
Seriously, I feel like this whole country is stuck in this vicious circle and is never going to get out of it.

7 comments:

  1. I could swear I posted already...

    lol you're not even past puberty and you're already thinking of the glory days :P

    It's true that the patriarchal ( men-oriented ) culture and attitude of Lebanon is very ancient...

    ReplyDelete
  2. we can all relate to this but lets not forget..no society is perfect guys..
    In America, Americans envy foreigners for their strong culture, closeness, tradition,food..morals and values.Yes, as a gay closeted young man, these things could feel like a heavy burdens, but should you come out and your parents love you unconditionally enough to support you as gay man... you will learn to embrace your Lebanese Heritage once again and you learn to love ourself all over again : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. @LebaGaGa: Haha! Like I said, I like to think of myself as a very young adult ;-)

    @Anonymous: I agree, there are some parts of the Lebanese heritage we can't dislike!
    Those old building in Beirut, this unique architecture, and of course the tabooleh and hommos! :-D
    But there are some habits we need to let go! It's good to embrace our heritage, but let's not go back to the 60s and live how people used to live back then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.. one way to bring Lebanon out of the 60's is for the gays to come out and forcing society to be more accepting to the change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous

    I was hinting that in my most recent blog post. From all the responses I got as comments and e-mails it's safe to say that it won't happen any time soon >_>

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lebgaga-Rome was not built in a day- change is slow but its happening- you/ we are the pioneers, lets not forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous

    But didn't Rome turn out to be pretty!

    You're right though. I'm more "in your face" than I should be, but that's what separates me from a lot of my Lebanese LGBT.

    I. be. crazy.

    I'm just putting my idea out there. If it inspires a few to come out to their friends then my job is done.

    <3 Awesome replies Anon

    ReplyDelete