Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Back in time...

I was in the car with my parents yesterday, and they turned the radio on to Nostalgie's Classique 80.
They got all overexcited and my father told me: "Yiii haydoleh men eyyemna! Anna ou emmak kenna ner'oss aala hal agheneh!"
My mom started singing and dancing in the car!

I love old music!  People are listening to noise these days! Where did all the creativity go? Music is not an art anymore...
Why are all the new songs depressing and annoying? Music is not supposed to give you a headache!
When I listen to Nostalgie I get hyperactive and happy! It cheers me up and makes me want to dance!

I was curious and wanted to know more, so I asked my dad about life during the 80s in Lebanon.
There was an awkward silence, and then he turned around and told me: "Kenna rayhin jeyin ben Jbeil w Beirut..."
War... I completely forgot about that!
The eighties, the parties every night, the weird and creepy dance moves, the disco... all of that was just a dream in Lebanon...

When I came back home I started downloading all the songs I heard on the radio:
Call me - Blondie
I Am What I Am - Gloria Gainor
Happy Together - The Turtles
Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles
... And a lot of Ace of Base, Bee Gees and Cher!



But I want more songs! I need more songs!
I'm going through a phase, and it's not the first time.
Last year I had Funky Town stuck in my head for 3 month...
I slept at 5AM yesterday listening and downloading more and more music!

Any suggestion? ;-D

5 comments:

  1. by the rivers of babylon - boney M
    Rasputin - Boney M
    Heart of Glass - Blondie
    One Way or Another - Blondie
    I Love Rock N Roll - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
    Yes sir I can boogie - Baccara
    Baby You Can Drive My Car - the Beatles
    Atomic - Blondie
    Alone - Heart
    Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin
    Bad Reputation - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
    Like a virgin - Madonna
    Express Yourself - Madonna
    Open Your Heart to Me - Madonna
    Like a Prayer - Madonna
    Material Girl - Madonna
    Vogue - Madonna
    I want to break free - Queen
    Don't stop me now - Queen
    Under Pressure - Queen
    Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
    Radio Ga Ga - Queen
    Somebody To Love - Queen
    and you should watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show and then download the whole soundtrack :P
    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! That's a lot of downloading P-:
    Thank you! I think this is going to keep me busy for a while!

    Yey! I guess I won't sleep tonight either! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of these songs are performed by glee :)
    I just love gleeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Karim!
    I discovered your blog just today, it's very interesting, I already bookmarked it for everyday's reading :)
    I am 26 y/o, so I didn't live the eighties. Ralph gave you great songs from Blondie (one of my favourite bands) and 80's Madonna, but there is also the great Tracy Chapman album, "Tracy Chapman", Wham! and George Michael (Careless Whispers), Dalida, early work of Mylène Farmer, Pet Shop Boys, the great R.E.M., U2 are also part of the 80's!!
    Enjoy your music!
    Can't wait to continue your coming out story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you DrFaDi! We all live the 80s through the awesome cheerful music and the fake cliché movies! ;-)
    I'll be sure to check these albums P-:

    I know I'm sloowww, but I think I'll post the last part of my coming out story tomorrow! :-)

    ReplyDelete