Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Beard.

Sorry, this is not a post for you all facial hair lovers.
I've been hearing the word 'beard' for a while on some TV shows like Glee and Happy Endings.

So, a beard is actually a person who hide another's sexual orientation by dating him/her or even getting married!
And I must say, this is genius.

The therm 'beard' is also used to conceal infidelity. So, your beard is the person who goes out with the person you are cheating with... Yeah, I won't be needing that... Yet. 

Now I know how you're all going to react: Stop pretending that you're someone you're not! Why do you need to hide your true identity! You were born this way, love yourself!
I know, I know.

I'm not saying it's okay to get married, have some kids, then run away with your gardener leaving your family behind and live a whole drama.
Think of it that way: Your beard is a friend who already came out to (in my case, a girl). She just pretends to be your girlfriend when your parents are getting too curious! Not bad, not bad.

I actually have a beard if I think about it. My best friend.
I spend so much time with her, my parents just assumed she was my new girlfriend.
The conversation always goes like this:

Mom: So, where were you yesterday?
Me: Just having dinner with <insert best friend's name here>.
Dad: Ohhhh, were you alone? *wink, wink*
Me: ... Yeah.
Mom: Yeey! She's your new girlfriend isn't she?
*Mom winks at dad, dad smiles at mom*
Me: *weird look, ja2ra* (to myself: New? Was there an old one I wasn't aware of?)
Mom: I knew it! She's such a nice girl, you know, her mom is a friend of mine and she... *bla bla bla*
Dad: Ehh, ehhh! Hayda hakkeh! Hek baddeh yek! Sar rejjel, sar rejjel! *random babbling about how I just became a man*
Me: *Raise an eyebrow: Oh gosh, please get me out of here*

So basically, I'm not lying. I'm just giving weird looks and shutting up, let my parents build me an imaginary life where I am a very straight kid they are so proud of.

My mom also spread this new life of mine to all the friends, family and neighbors. (Such a Lebanese woman, isn't she?)
So when my aunt or uncle calls I get some "When are we going to meet your new girlfriend?", "Why didn't you tell me about her?", "You know I used to play Bridge with her grandma, such a wonderful woman" and the "Kebro el wled! Kebro, kebro".
Feels like I live in a movie.

Don't worry about hiding your sexuality, your family is so determined to see you live the life they expect you to live that they will build it themselves.
Just sit, stare & shut up.
And it helps if you can raise a single eyebrow. That thing pulled me out of some awkward conversations.

11 comments:

  1. lol cute post hahaha

    There's a small issue though. You know the saying "A mother always knows?". Well it also applies to everyone in your family. When you reinforce the idea that you are straight in their head, that's the preferable truth to them. They'll block out any notion that you are gay.
    So when the time comes you actually do come out, they'll take the hit a lot harder and use those past girlfriends as evidence of your straightness. Silence isn't always good.

    My mom told me she felt deceived when I came out to her. We're fine now, mostly, but she always refers to my one past girlfriend in every discussion concerning my orientation. She really wants me to be bi ...

    You're still in high school though so meh.
    Tap dat beard's virtual ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't believe it is a wise solution letting them seing you as they want you to be... There IS a way you can deal with the homophobia of your parents , but don't give them faulse hopes it will only make the truth more shoking and incomprehensible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =_= haha you wanna hear how my mom acts? she's fine with hearing about gay people on television, in tv shows, anywhere, BUT tell her Im gay and she freaks, tell her I know someone who is gay she freaks out even more. To add more crap to it, she actually made me and Ziad laugh last time I saw him, he came over for dinner and she set up two plates for me and him and went to the kitchen and sat alone, try convincing her come back but nope she just keeps her own ideas of things and goes on =_= mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @LebaGaGa: I'm not so sure about my parents but I know that my siblings know. It's just that tension... hah.
    Well, my parents are like never going to know I'm gay. My dad would probably have a heart attack and die and my mother would shoot me.
    I just want to leave and never look back.

    @Anonymous: What they do not know can't hurt them right?
    They are just too proud of me right now, and I want them to keep that image as soon as possible.
    I really don't care if they know or not, cause soon enough I plan on leaving this country. I hate it there, I just want to leave...

    @Lebanon Rebel: Haha, your mother is so funny :P "Don't get too close! It might be contagious!" Haha! Well, you being gay might freaked her out a bit. On TV it sounds so far from home, but knowing that you're gay is just... I dunno, the gay is too close to home?
    Ohh, the gay friend too! Maybe she's having a rainbow overdose! Well, that can't hurt, right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha I loved the conversation! It hits pretty close to home :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you. You're hilarious, seriously.

    You can't get any funnier.

    I love this blog please keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about that... Blogger deleted some of the comments then re-posted them... ugh.

    @Beirut Boy: The rumor isn't going to spread. My whole family thinks I'm some kind of player so every time this happens they all go like
    "Don't worry! No one will know, so if you want to get some other girl, do not hesitate!"
    ...
    What the freak?

    @Catwheel: Haha, so my family is not crazy after all! It's just the Lebanese spirit!

    @Anonymous: Aww thanks :D
    I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is only one problem with this story : Your mother and father know you're gay, and that terrifies them. And they suspect that everyone in the neighborhood knows as well.

    So they will seize any opportunity you provide them, to ignore your "gayness", and "reassure" themselves and their neighbors.

    But deep down, they know you're gay...

    ReplyDelete
  9. If they're happy with this, ignoring my "gayness", I'm not going to stop them from doing it.
    I don't mind, really...
    In fact, I'm running away as soon as I'm done with high school.
    Maybe I'm just a coward..

    ReplyDelete
  10. He was keen on keeping a nearby shave for whatever length of time that conceivable for the duration of the day. best electric shavers in india

    ReplyDelete
  11. Electric hedge trimmers are probably the most popular. They can cut branches up to 1/2-inch in diameter. They're light, least expensive, and quiet. Plus, they don't pollute like a gas-powered trimmers. philips bg1025/15 body groomer review

    ReplyDelete